A Tribute to the Fossmobile - 1897

As a youthful son, being raised in Fort Chambly, Quebec, every once in a while, I would hear stories of George Foote Foss' (my grandfather's) creation. Occasionally, I might overhear these stories as my father distributed the specifics with close friends and neighbors who have been visiting our residence. Nevertheless, the stories which I usually noticed emerged directly from my grandfather, as we stopped at him regularly. I remember fondly, located on a footstool close to his ft as he sat in the massive, comfy couch, recounting the methods he took in tinkering, organizing and ultimately, building a fuel engine vehicle, which was to get the first in Canada - later named: "The Fossmobile."

In the early 1960s (I had been only about era 7), I remember that everybody around me was talking about a flurry of renewed desire for his fulfillment. It was then he was given two honorary memberships: one particular from the Classic Car Membership of Montreal (VACM) and the other from the renowned Vintage Automobile Membership of America (AACA). Only two Canadians have ever received this second option honor. The other Canadian to accept this is Colonel Robert Samuel McLaughlin, who started the McLaughlin Motor Car Company in 1907, that was one particular of the first significant vehicle producers in Canada.

With these two endeavors, there arrived a swarm of press attention and that I can recall becoming shown newspaper cuttings, numerous of which I have within my ownership these days. Not only are there photos and articles created about his honorary memberships, but some of the community documents also reprinted his earlier composing of: "The Correct Tale of a Tiny Town Boy," originally published in 1954, by The Sherbrooke Daily Record.

Having a family member with traditional relevance meant most of his descendants have wound up using his invention story and the numerous periodicals regarding it, as a subject matter for school projects. I recall utilizing his tale as a topic for just one of my university tasks, equally of my two kids do, and merely a year in the past my 6-year-aged granddaughter performed a "show and informed" at her university about her fantastic-great grandfather's creation.

George Foote Foss (Sept . 30, 1876 - Nov 23, 1968) was an auto technician, blacksmith, bicycle repairman and inventor from Sherbrooke, Quebec. Throughout the winter of 1896, he developed a 4-horse power solitary-cylinder fuel-powered vehicle. In the springtime of 1897, he finished his innovation: the very first fuel-driven automobile to be built in Canada, which was, later referred to as the "Fossmobile."

It absolutely was at the beginning of 1896, throughout a visit to Boston, Massachusetts to buy a turret lathe for his expanding device store, that my grandfather noticed his very first automobiles. All of these cars, electrically powered broughams, were booked out for $4.00 one hour. He compensated the cost to get a ride, unfortunately, after a trip of only half an hour, the electric batteries passed away.

Returning to Sherbrooke, he made a decision to create a car that could deal with this problem. My grandfather drove his car in and close to Sherbrooke, Quebec for four years. He later on transferred to Montreal, Quebec, where the car sat idle for a year before he sold it for $75 in 1902. He got formerly rejected a deal to spouse with Henry Ford who proceeded to form the Ford Motor Supplier. He refused the provide, as he thought Ford's Quadricycle vehicle to get substandard to the Fossmobile. Also, he unapproved monetary support to bulk-generate the Fossmobile, citing his inexperience to accomplish this, as he was just 21 years of age at the time.

I am just usually asked should I determine if my grandfather experienced any regrets about not partnering with Ford or otherwise mass-generating his innovation. From everything I recall seeing and hearing him say, he experienced no regrets. He loved a simple life, and I also listened to him speak on more than a single celebration, that: "you don't reside longevity with the pressures of operating a large company." He passed aside at age group 92, so perhaps his hypothesis was proper, at the very least for him.

Lately, I re-opened up the Foss family members records, to better comprehend and correctly record my grandfather's outstanding accomplishment. My objective continues to be to find ways to share this historic Canadian event with car fanatics, historians, and future generations of Canadians. For this conclusion, I have set up an enterprise, as a means to create networking sites, foster collaboration, and share essential traditional memorabilia.

As George Foss' grandson, We have talked with a few visionaries and that I am searching for the help of other possible professionals in "Vintage Vehicle Recovery," for an extraordinary project. The objective is to use reverse engineering (the reproduction of an inventor or manufacturer's item), to create a "Tribute Car," emulating as tightly as feasible, the requirements of George Foss' invention of the very first gas-operated vehicle integrated Canada: the Fossmobile. There are no initial sketches, so the Tribute Vehicle will have to be based exclusively on in-depth scrutiny of original Fossmobile photos.

I have begun the process of acquiring classic parts from the period, with the hope of building this car, replicating components only when it is absolutely essential. I will provide oversight with this procedure and team up with automobile historians and experts. Alongside the way, the trip will likely be documented, while ensuring awareness of detail.

The wish is to honor my grandfather's legacy and provide to higher light, this significant chapter of Canadian historical past. With its conclusion, this Tribute Car is going to be a physical embodiment of the initial fuel car integrated Canada. There is a growing interest in showcasing the accomplished Tribute Fossmobile in timeless automobile shows. Nonetheless, it can eventually be generously donated to a Canadian gallery to enhance classical training for existing and future generations.


Comments